In the 1950s, the American Heart Association declared that high-fat diets were the cause of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis. Since then, they have tried to reduce the fat in food. Today, 70 years later, doctors recognize a big mistake that has led to the rapid obesity of the population. The keto diet has spread among Americans due to its effectiveness and remarkable benefits. The rehabilitation of high-fat foods is happening right before our eyes. Let there be lard and butter on the table!
About the ketogenic diet, or ketogenic, they started talking a few years ago. Although this type of food has been around for a long time. According to the ketogenic diet, the most dangerous product for the body is sugar, in all its forms. "Slow" carbohydrates, like all starchy vegetables, fruit, cereals, are also prohibited. Any meat, fish, low-carb vegetables are welcome. Nowadays, doctors who adhere to the principles of the ketogenic diet are confident that it was with the advent of sugar that diseases such as tooth decay, diabetes, obesity, oncology and that sugar developed. a destructive effect on the brain, leading to Alzheimer's disease, autism, multiple sclerosis and even depression.
When following a ketogenic diet, the basis of the diet - 75% - is made up of fat, the remaining 20% is protein, and only 5% (but not more than 25g) remains for carbohydrates. It is argued that it is from fat that the body receives the necessary energy. In the absence of carbohydrates, the liver converts fatty acids into ketones, which enter the bloodstream and feed the brain. This state of the body is called ketosis. Advocates of the ketogenic diet claim that it increases stamina, prolongs youth, supports cardiovascular health, normalizes hormone levels, lowers blood sugar and leads to healthy weight loss.
Pros of the keto diet:
- No need to starve, no risk of exhaustion, no brutal appetite;
- It is not necessary to exclude most products from the diet;
- Easy to prepare dishes with minimal ingredients;
- The absence of large expenses for the purchase of products for the recipe;
- The lost weight will not come back;
- The diet is suitable for everyone.
Cons of the keto diet:
- There may be a smell of acetone from the body, urine and mouth due to a sharp increase in ketone bodies in the body. But to minimize this, just drink more water.
- Diet is rumored to be unbalanced. But following the keto diet for 28 days, as expected, will only lead to a healthier body. Next, we will give a series of tips on how to introduce additional foods into the diet and make the diet balanced without returning the previous weight.
- It is very difficult to go on a keto diet without help. In Russia, the keto diet is not widespread enough, which means menu options are few or unprofessionally developed. Our job is to provide only reliable information on the keto diet, define different menu options and dispel all the myths about the "confusing" diet.
When switching to a ketogenic diet, first add non-heat-treated vegetable and animal fats to your diet: cold-pressed unrefined oils, lard, fatty meat and offal. And forget low-fat dairy products too - only real sour cream, milk, and aged cheese should be! Cooking is recommended in coconut or clarified butter. For vegetables, choose non-starchy vegetables and salads: cucumbers, courgettes, courgettes, leeks, iceberg lettuce, spinach, etc. You can also add low-carb vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, squash, eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes. Mushrooms are also allowed on a keto diet, but in minimal quantities.
What is allowed to eat:
1. Meat: beef, pork, lamb, poultry, etc. You can choose fatter meat and eat poultry with skin on.
2. Fish and seafood: all types of fish and marine fauna. Again, you can choose fatty fish (salmon, herring, sardines).
3. Oils: any type of oil, including melted pork / duck fat.
4. Vegetables: spinach, sorrel, rocket, parsley, dill, coriander and any type of salad.
6. Vegetables: cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, broccoli, all kinds of cabbage, zucchini, etc. Only potatoes should be excluded from vegetables and carrots and beets should be minimized.
8. Sour milk products, but choose only the fatter ones: cheese, cottage cheese, kefir, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt.
9. Nuts and seeds: Almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia, pecans, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, chia seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, etc.
10. Some beans: peanuts, green beans
What can you drink:
1. Lots of pure non-carbonated water;
2. Green, black and herbal teas;
3. Coffee, it can be with cream
What can you drink:
Low-carb alcoholic beverages are vodka, whiskey, brandy, dry martini, brut champagne, dry red and white wine.
In a limited quantity, you can include in the diet:
1. Berries, but not more than a handful per day;
2. Carrots, onions, whole garlic are not recommended, only as condiments.
3. Milk can only be drunk in small quantities. For example, as part of a cappuccino.
What is forbidden:
1. Cereals and cereals;
2. Flour and pastry products;
3. Sugar, any sweets and confectionery;
4. Semi-finished meat and sausages;
5. Legumes and soybeans;
6. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic sweet drinks;
7. Starchy vegetables, fruits and nuts;
8. Fat-free dairy products and processed cheeses;
9. Ready sauces and mayonnaise.